Wednesday, September 7, 2011

TGIF

A few months ago, my work hours changed from 40 to 32 hours a week. I have been with my department at the University for four years and they graciously approved  me taking off Fridays. Now I have eight extra hours to spend quality time with my girls! I like my job and I love my kids. It's a great balance for me and my family right now.

Last Friday morning, like many others, was jammed packed. From the time they wake up at 5:30am to Layla's nap at 12:30pm, the mornings can feel like an eternity if we stay cooped up at the house (Faven naps in the AM). We usually go to one or two places in the morning before 11am - enough time to avoid irritability due to wanting a nap and lunch  more so with Layla than Faven. I try my very best to limit running errands. Hauling two kids in and out of a car that reaches 120 degrees  inside on a given day is hell and not fun for the girls and definitely not me.

Last Friday we went to the doctor's office and to the Arizona Science Museum. Faven checked out A-OK at her 9 month appointment.  Layla got her annual flu shot/spray through her nose this year vs. a painful shot. Faven also got a flu shot along with her scheduled immunizations. They both did great!
I thought Friday would be a perfect day to miss the crowds and enjoy some semi quiet activity at the museum. Wishful thinking. There had to of been 300 groups of elementary school kids running around hyped on sugar, I swear. I have never seen so many overly stimulated kids in one building before. Every "science station" we tried to get our hands on was completely occupied. I think I could have gotten Layla more excited about science, but she couldn't even hear me talk! The combination of the crowds and the maturity level of most exhibits, Layla wasn't too amused. Faven was content strapped to me facing the attractions.
We ended our short lived morning at the Arizona Science Museum getting kicked out of Cafe connected to the museum. Apparently the small, cool, EMPTY restaurant does not permit outside food and PB&J on wheat,  humus and pita, and milk/formula was was on our menu. The owner directed us to the lunchroom just around the corner. We opened the heavy glass door, looked around the cramped space, and did not see one open seat. We thought it would be best take a break and eat right outside the entrance. Thankfully, it was a cloudy day and the heat wasn't blazing so it wasn't too uncomfortable as long as we didn't move around much.  I am a pretty flexible person but I knew if I wanted to keep my sanity, I had to get home before "nap-time". Moms need a break in the day, too!

No comments: