Tuesday, October 18, 2011

A Hot and Sticky Day on the Ranch

I completely jinxed the situation when I wrote about how wonderful the weather is in Arizona this time of year last week. It's not wonderful. October is a tease. Hot and mild, hot and mild. It was hot and sticky morning the day we went to McDonald's Ranch.

For some strange reason I thought that last Saturday morning would be a perfect time to do a fall family activity. Maybe it was because our day started at 5:15am, like most mornings, and it was chilly outside (probably because we typically wake-up before the sun comes up). We ate breakfast, played outside, went on a walk, ate a second breakfast, watched Mickey Mouse Club all before 7:30am. Joey left to play a game of flag football and I put Faven down for her first nap at 8:00am. JY came back from his game and I had the girls ready to drive 30 minutes to a cutesy little farm in North Scottsdale in the middle of the desert. 

We decided to keep Faven in her stroller because neither Joey or I wanted to strap on a 15 pounds baby that would make us twice as hot. She slouched down and wiggled around in her seat and took it all in. 
Because of the heat, we also opted out of taking a short hayride to the pumpkin patch - the only way to pick up pumpkins at this ranch. It sounded like a neat idea if it really felt like a fall crisp day. We weren't about to lug the girls on a dusty, sticky, pile of hay. I'm usually all about getting down and dirty, but this heat was getting to us all.
All dolled up, Princess Layla found a few furry friends. She loved petting the bunnies at the petting zoo.
Only a few came out to be pet by overly excited kids and the rest tucked themselves against the wall so that it was near impossible for a toddler to grab. Smart bunnies.
Layla went to the petty zoo area twice and gazed at giant pigs, peacocks, and a bull. She did, however, pet a donkey, pony and goat.

Sharing a tasty fall treat with Dad. Ok, not exactly a fall treat.
The girls glistening under a patio.
Layla was going to ride a horse but she refused to wear a helmet. I would like to go back to this ranch and ride horses, listen to the country band, walk around the pretend western town, and play a few western games. I think this place is more ideal for kids 3 and up. Maybe next year!

No comments: