Thursday, July 8, 2010

It can't get any worse

I haven’t written in a while so I thought I would post a quick one. I plan to write more about Emily and Kevin’s visit later this week.

Aunty Em and Uncle Baby Keymon had an interesting first day with Layla alone without parental supervision (without JY or I *wink*). The day started off great with a lovely walk to the duck pond early that morning. Layla refused to eat much of her breakfast or her snack. Aunty Em put Layla down 40 minutes before her usual nap time at noon. Layla slept for a total of 30 minutes rather than her standard 2+ hour. The day was slowing becoming difficult after an “unscheduled” nap and semi justifiable mistakes were happening. For starters, they filled up Layla’s blow-up baby pool with water wrong side up. Jada (our dog) apparently stepped on it and made a hole. Duck tape, anyone? Em changed Layla’s diaper using her special ‘nighttime’ diapers all day – mistake #3, but who is keeping track. Em and Key exhausted every in-house activity as Layla started to become more and more cranky. Even reading her entire book collection couldn't sooth Layla. She was a complete MESS all day. Let’s just say that when Layla sees Aunty Em with her computer on her lap, she thinks it is time to watch Elmo clips on youtube. I came home early from work and did my best to comfort her. I simply blamed her tantrums on her short lived early nap. Joey came home from the gym and asked us if anyone took her temperature. Wow, it didn’t even cross my mind! Sure enough, she had a temperature of 100 degrees. We gave her baby Tylenol and almost instantly she acted like a different person. She was as happy as can be. Her not feeling up to par and her mild temperature were probably the culprit of her poor eating and sleeping which lead to a cranky toddle. OR maybe more teeth are coming in? Taking care of a 17 month is tricky when her vocabulary and sign language skills are limited. Ugh. Tough first day for our new babysitters. We are thrilled that Key and Em are here spending time with their niece...and Layla is, too. Happier days are just around the corner!

No comments: